The GOP has lost it. I received in the mail today an ad for McCain-Palin. It was paid for by the GOP and if it didn’t say so I would have sworn it was paid for by Obama. Some excerpts:
- In targeting big oil, Palin ‘governed from the center’
- As governor, she has aligned with Democrats to tax the oil industry.
- [The duo]…will work with Democrats and Republicans for sensible solutions to the problems facing American families.
- …push for advances in stem cell research.
- …Palin went after big oil companies and won
And the crème de le crème, on the outside above the address box their “Solutions for our Families” in bullet points:
- Increase funding for stem cell research
- Address climate change
- Fight wasteful spending
Are they serious? “Fight wasteful spending” after boasting they’ll spend on stem cell research and addressing climate change? Spending on any research is unconstitutional; to do so for embryonic stem cell research under cover of the generic phrase of “stem cell” research smacks of duplicity and pandering.
I find especially repugnant the use of Palin’s “status” as a parent of a special needs child to lend credence to embryonic stem cell research. We have our own medical challenges in our family. Killing babies to find a cure though is not an option we’re interested in.
How is any of this differnet from Obama in principle? Again, the GOP has lost it.